Marathon Plan Week 10 of 24
The long runs are getting longer. So far my knees are holding up pretty well.
On the horizon for this week:
- Monday: off
- Tuesday: 42 minute run with 22 minutes at threshold pace
- Wednesday: Strength
- Thursday: 52 minute run with 8 x 1 minute @ speed pace with 3 minute active recoveries
- Friday: 40 minutes alternate cardio
- Saturday: Optional 40 minute foundation run; Strength
- Sunday: Long Run 1 hour 30 minutes (min distance per Hal Higdon beginner marathon plan is 5 miles)
Because I am a very slow “runner”, I checked a novice running plan by Hal Higdon to find the minimum mileage I need to get in on my long runs. He has an 18 week beginner program so I’m superimposing his mileage recommendations on the weekly long run. I think this will become more critical in the last 6 weeks or so of the plan. The longest run on my current plan is 3 hours. Hal Higdon recommends a 20 miler a few weeks out from marathon day. There is simply no way I could cover 20 miles in 3 hours at my current comfortable LSD pace (11 to 12 min per mile). Further would a 3 hour long run prepare me to be able to run the 5+ hours it will likely take for me to cover 26 miles? I doubt it, thus the modification to the training plan. My running is getting stronger. My 1 hour 20 minute run today felt surprising good.