Marathon Plan Week 19 of 24
I have a very hard time getting past the half-marathon distance. This is about where I plateaued the last time I tried to train for a marathon. On the schedule today was a 2 hour and 30 minute run (min) or a 16 mile run (max) depending on which plan I followed. I really wanted to hit the 16 miles so that I would feel ready for the 20 mile race on August 27. I’ve been feeling flu-ish and off just about all week but I have been sleeping more so hoped that the 16 miles would be feasible. Today my running was just crap. There is no other way to describe it. My belly hurt; my feet hurt; and I just felt weak. I got in 13.1 miles but there was some major slowing down and some walking toward the end. I put in about 2 hours and 50 minutes before I just quit. My plan is to do another 3 to 4 miles this afternoon so I at least get in the distance TODAY, even if it is not all in one session.
On schedule for this week:
- Monday: off
- Tuesday: Tempo Run 56 minutes total with 36 minutes at threshold pace
- Wednesday: Strength
- Thursday: Lactate Intervals 44 minutes total with 4 x 3 minutes at VO2 max pace with 3 minute active recoveries. Yikes I like the one minute intervals but even those make me feel nauseated. I can see this will be done fasted.
- Friday: Alternate Cardio 45 minutes
- Saturday: Optional Foundation Run 40 minutes; Strength
- Sunday: Long Run 2 hours and 40 minutes (Hal Higdon recommends 12)
As to my John Stone Fitness Challenge, I’m down about 2.5 pounds from the start and I’ve got 98 of my 100 points. I skipped half a workout and ate an unplanned rice cake with all natural peanut butter–I really know how to cheat.